Monday, August 13, 2007

Stuck between a bulge and squishy place.

When I ride the streetcar, I like to sit right by the rear doors because the drivers get anal about people exiting from the front and it's usually packed, so my optimal seat is one where I can slip out the back doors without fighting through the people standing. Ideally, the aisle seat right in front of the doors is where I'd sit. Today, that seat was probably the least optimal of all. To my right was a large man who overflowed past the border of his seat into mine. But you know what, I can deal with that: I just sit slightly off the seat to give the guy more space. But wait! To my left I later found a man whose crotch height reached up to my face. So I found myself in this awkward position of having my body avoid contact with the entity to my right and my head avoiding the crotch on my left (See figure below). And I don't know if it was the moving streetcar and his instability or what, but twice I found his crotch fractions of an inch away from touching my face.

Note to self: just stand for the 5 streetcar stops. It's better to be caught plastered between people and being face-to-face with them than to be crotch-to-face with them.