Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Knives

I can't wait to get better knives. I'm 99% certain they will make me a faster cook, if not better. I mean, anything is better than these wretched ikea knives
but I think I've got my heart set on these puppies:



$300 for the set. Though it's received a limited number of reviews, they have all been raving on their quality for their price.

On the topic of cooking, I'm marinading some sliced beef in the following mixture of ingredients (per lb of beef), adopted from this recipe:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp red pepper powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 slice of ginger minced
1/2 bulb of garlic minced
2 stalks of green onion finely chopped

I'll update this post when I see how it turns out with a 2 hr marinade time.

**
I ended up marinading for 3 hrs and stir-fried it until cooked. I also tossed in mushroom slices just 'cause. 老公 & M. quite enjoyed it, so I conclude that it was a success, though I felt like the dish could've used *something * more... I just couldn't put my finger on what that is. Oh, the red pepper was not noticeable at all so next time I'll probably quadruple the amount.

**
I think it could've used some onions. I believe that is what was missing.