Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bikes

I miss my bike, especially after passing a row of these down near 101.


The idea behind these bikes is that you can borrow the bike for free for the first 30 minutes and NT$10 for each additional 15 minutes. The bike is supposed to help connect you between your last bus/subway stop to your final destination or between bus & subway stops. It's a great idea, but I have doubts about their ability to expand this beyond the XinYi district considering just how many motorscooters there are, how bad the roads are, and how BAD the drivers are here. Unless they make dedicated bike lanes that have some concrete divider to deter motorists from cutting into the bike lanes, I would not feel safe biking here. It's unfortunate though because I can just imagine all the potential emissions reductions/air quality improvement if people traded in their motorscooters for a bicycle & the city re-paved the roads. These are just my initial thoughts after reading about these bikes...I'm sure the city is doing studies on this, I just haven't read up on what progress they have made on this.

In other news, I am having annoying allergy attacks here. I need to find me some anti-histamines 'cause itchy eyes & nose are no fun.