Friday, April 30, 2010

CO

We are soon about to explore this possibility, though right now I feel like we're already 90% there (mentally), just another 10% (physically) to go! I'm not sure what I think about it. I mean, on paper, everything seems like it's the smart thing for us to do. And I mean, change & moving has been a big part of my life so it kind of feels natural to be considering this option. Looking back, I'm not sure I ever felt like moving here (to CA) would become something permanent. Maybe it's just 'cause CA always feels like a vacation to me =p

Anyway, we're flying out next week and staying for a week to give CO a test drive. I think I'm more nervous about it not working out than I am about the prospect of relocating and starting over from scratch. The possible move has stirred up the kind of feelings I had when we moved from Ottawa to LA 10 years ago.



Whoah.

What?!

I can't believe it's been 10 years since then...

Anyway, I digress.

So yeah, CO... I definitely feel like the values people hold there will differ a lot from the values people hold here and I hope our visit will confirm that notion because it will make the potential move that much more worth it.

Why CO, you ask?

Well, mainly, it's just too damn expensive here in CA. Salaries are high, maybe, but not high enough to sustainably cover the cost of a decent house. It feels cramped. If I wanted to feel cramped, I'd go live in Taipei, which wouldn't be as bad 'cause I'm OK with trading off space for good food. But anyway, I'll save this as "to be continued" since the CO idea is all very hypothetical right now. Only our trip next week will be able to tell us if our hypothetical scenario will have a chance to materialize or not.