Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Yosemite x 3

We have returned! Well, that was Sunday. As usual, the drive was brutal, but once we got there, it made it worth it. We climbed Munginella in two pitches on Saturday morning and then in the afternoon we tackled 3 pitches on The Grack. We started off Sunday with 5 pitches @ Manure Pile Butress and we were joined by about 3 other parties. Pitch 1 was on C.S. Concerto, which was a 5.6 crack to start, after which we traversed over to After 6 (5.7) for the last 4 pitches.
(photo c/o R.Y.; start of C.S. Concerto)
For once, I followed second, which is when I learned how much work it takes to belay two people and haul rope and climb with rope trailing behind you, throwing you off balance. Not sure if that is more difficult than having to clean up...
(photo c/o R.Y.; I.S. looks awkward 'cause he's waiting for me to pull up the slack. He went too fast!)
Hats off to I.S. for doing that on the slabby Bunny Slopes last time! The 5 pitches killed me so I called it a day after we got down around 1pm and had lunch. I.S. & R.Y. hit up Knobb Hill in the afternoon and just top roped a single-pitch 5.7 and then a single-pitch 5.10a sport route.
(photo c/o R.Y.; I.S. & I at the top of Manure Pile Butress)
 I'm still sore from the weekend, but it only means I'll be more apt to tackle more than 5 pitches in a day next time =) Crack climbing was completely new to me, so that certainly made things interesting over the course of the weekend. I'm not sure if I will ever enjoy crack climbing as it's quite painful having feet jammed in a side-ways position. Plus I'm super paranoid of getting something stuck in the crack, which means I had a hard time committing to a jam position and thus my feet were slipping at times.

We're heading back up to Yosemite for the long weekend (yup, 4th time in 5 weekends), but for once we're just going to chill with friends. Yosemite is great and all, but I am definitely looking forward to not making consecutive weekend trips up there after this weekend. More photos to come!

PS: Nutella bagel sandwiches are incredibly satisfying after a long morning, just FYI.