Thursday, December 23, 2010

File management

The 老公 and I have been talking about consolidating our digital data to a solid state drive + one mega storage drive, which has inspired me to spend some time today to clean up the files on my laptop and external drive to ease the transition later on and also for general sanity's sake. Though the files that I still refuse to properly sort through are my old work files and my job application folder (I've probably got a thousand variations of my resume all the way from 2008 up until 2010). I've decided that dealing with my backed-up photos & movies and general desktop cleaning is about all I can handle right now.

So things I am doing to clean up my laptop:
  • Filing files into their proper folders that have been dumped into the "misc" folder over the past year.
  • Deleting records of things that have passed, like old flight itineraries, proof of online credit card payments.
  • Deleting duplicates of files that were copied over from my external drive & making sure they are properly filed as I go.
  • Loading photos that are in loose folders on my desktop into iPhoto.
Things I am doing to clean up my external drive*:
  • Uploading photos into iPhoto.
  • Uploading music into iTunes that I don't already have and deleting music I have no desire to go back to again.
  • Transferring movies I want to keep onto the media PC & deleting ones I don't want anymore.
  • Uploading archived files (pdfs, spreadsheets, docs) I absolutely don't want to lose into Google Docs for extra back-up. 
Things that the 老公 and I both need to do down the road:
  • Consolidate our iPhoto libraries.
  • Delete bad/not meaningful photos from our library.
  • Upgrade the storage for each of our Google accounts.
  • Upload our photos to our Picasa accounts for back-up.
In doing this little "spring cleaning", if you will, to my digital "stuff", it's felt so refreshing. I would say it's been as liberating as spring cleaning is for me in the material world. With 2TB hard drives available now, some might wonder why I bother. I think a major driver is my move to simplicity. I'm trying to cut down my possessions, both virtual and material, to things that serve a clear purpose of either a practical one or an aesthetic one. I think it's going to give me a new perspective that will be enlightening and refreshing, but still challenging since I've always struggled with letting go of stuff. It is a personal challenge that comes at a good time too though as we prepare for our move out to the Rockies in the spring.

*note: the goal for me here is to clear as much as I can off of it by either deleting or transferring the files somewhere else and then do a full back-up of my laptop afterward, while having faith that neither the external drive nor my laptop will crash in the interim)

**We decided to forgo flickr as our photo back-up option for the following 3 reasons: 
1. I don't think we take enough photos/videos to warrant the need of unlimited storage etc. and given such, probably wouldn't use enough of the $25 flickr upgrade to make it worth more than what we would pay for 20GB of storage for each of us under Google, which is only $10 total. 
2. I've read that it's easier for people to download photos from Picasa, which if you're intending to share with friends & family, is something you'd probably want.
3. It's linked to our google accounts, which makes life just a touch simpler in terms of less log-ins to remember and having one central account that manages our email, chat, phone calls, text messages, documents, and photos.