So things I am doing to clean up my laptop:
- Filing files into their proper folders that have been dumped into the "misc" folder over the past year.
- Deleting records of things that have passed, like old flight itineraries, proof of online credit card payments.
- Deleting duplicates of files that were copied over from my external drive & making sure they are properly filed as I go.
- Loading photos that are in loose folders on my desktop into iPhoto.
- Uploading photos into iPhoto.
- Uploading music into iTunes that I don't already have and deleting music I have no desire to go back to again.
- Transferring movies I want to keep onto the media PC & deleting ones I don't want anymore.
- Uploading archived files (pdfs, spreadsheets, docs) I absolutely don't want to lose into Google Docs for extra back-up.
- Consolidate our iPhoto libraries.
- Delete bad/not meaningful photos from our library.
- Upgrade the storage for each of our Google accounts.
- Upload our photos to our Picasa accounts for back-up.
*note: the goal for me here is to clear as much as I can off of it by either deleting or transferring the files somewhere else and then do a full back-up of my laptop afterward, while having faith that neither the external drive nor my laptop will crash in the interim)
**We decided to forgo flickr as our photo back-up option for the following 3 reasons:
1. I don't think we take enough photos/videos to warrant the need of unlimited storage etc. and given such, probably wouldn't use enough of the $25 flickr upgrade to make it worth more than what we would pay for 20GB of storage for each of us under Google, which is only $10 total.
2. I've read that it's easier for people to download photos from Picasa, which if you're intending to share with friends & family, is something you'd probably want.
3. It's linked to our google accounts, which makes life just a touch simpler in terms of less log-ins to remember and having one central account that manages our email, chat, phone calls, text messages, documents, and photos.