Monday, March 28, 2011

Peanut Butter Cups

E. got a 1kg block of milk chocolate over Christmas and he had invited I.S. & I to have some or all of it, but only recently did we figure out what to do with it. A while back I came across this blog post about making peanut butter cups for Valentine's and although it is a very simple recipe, at the time I couldn't find the post with the recipe so we used this one instead and they definitely lived up to the 4.5 star reviews. The ones you see below are sitting in mini muffin tins (bite-sized) so just fyi: the photo makes them appear larger than they actually are!
I would say they're better than Reese's because of the extra crunch from the chunky peanut butter. As you can see, we ran low on chocolate for the tops with the chunky peanut filling poking through but it still tastes amazing. I'm going to attempt a 2nd batch using the simple, less fatty recipe that I originally found and see how they go. I'm curious to see what the difference is between adding shortening & butter and excluding it. I'm going to guess that the chocolate will be less creamy and more like the chocolate bar hardness. But yeah, who would've thought  there would be graham cracker in the filling too? It's genius. I'm all about crunchy, nutty fillings.