Monday, March 21, 2011

Tools

As I get more serious about design, I decided I needed to start somewhere with educating myself on design and so I've just added The Elements of Typographic Style to my library, which is building on my one other design book, Universal Principles of Design.

Two other things I've been wanting to get, which I just ordered from Amazon over the weekend: a sketchbook for my purse and drawing pens.


I'm super excited for my new red sketchbook. It's satiating my craving for something bright to add to my big brown bag, a craving which had me dreaming of an iPad2 with a red cover, even though I don't need it and wouldn't ever get the $650+ worth out of it.

After jumping into this giant ocean of design, I feel like these books and tools are the pieces of drift wood that are keeping me afloat as I try to make my way through the vastness of the ocean.

Sidenote: my current Pandora station is tuned into Sondre Lerche, Mumford & Sons, Ingrid Michaelson, & Young the Giant, which is giving me a good mix of stuff like Silversun Pickups, the Shins, Adele, Iron & Wine, & Timmy Curran. It's quite delightful.