Monday, August 15, 2011

el fin de semana

This past weekend seemed to go on forever. Saturday was a long day, which started off at the Silver Grill Cafe in Old Town for breakfast. Such a cute place! And kind of amazing as the breakfast menu seems to revolve around their insanely-huge and delicious cinnamon rolls! I <3 cinnamon. After a hearty breakfast (mine consisted of cinnamon-roll french toast, an egg, and bacon), we were off to Vedauwoo for some climbing. We were in the Nautilus area but I will not pretend to know what exactly we climbed. All I know is that the first climb was harder than I expected to warm up on and that our second climb was a chimney climb, which was super fun 'cause I was awesome at it. Oh, and that there was so much scrambling around on the rocks to get down that it was a workout in itself! Here's I.S. working his way up the chimney climb. He's wearing knee pads but I survived without them because I was able to get my feet on either side whereas the space in that chimney was too narrow for I.S. so he had to rely on the tension between his foot and his knees to get up.
Here's I.S. & P. waiting for me to show them how it was supposed to be done ;) 
I made my way up so clean, but topping off wasn't entirely graceful, as it just turned into me clawing my way onto the ledge with my legs flailing (as seen in Exhibit A)
Exhibit A

On Sunday we decided to bike up to Old Town to check out the NewWestFest. We didn't find out about it until we saw all the roads that were closed off for it when we went for breakfast on Saturday, but it's definitely going on our calendar for next year. It was an insanely huge event (which I don't think outsiders would expect from a little college town) that took over pretty much all of Old Town. Lots of artsy booths and food stalls. We grabbed a couple of vegetable samosas from an Indian food stall and ended up at Choice City Butcher & Deli for their Colorado buffalo reuben sandwich with a side of dill coleslaw (mmmmm) as we've been meaning to go there for a while now and none of the other food stalls appealed to us in the same way Choice City did. I love that place. We also managed to escape the rain cloud that was coming over the festival area, so that was awesome. I don't mind rain, but I do might getting that icky stripe of water down my back from not having a mud guard. All in all, a productive & fun weekend =) Until next weekend... ciao!