Friday, November 18, 2011

Welding

I.S. has always wanted to learn how to weld and with his truck's exhaust pipe being temporarily held up with a pipe clamp, it's even more motivation to learn how to weld so he can fix it permanently. He found a class at the local community college and I decided to join him because ever since I saw this, I've daydreamed of all the things I could make if I knew how to weld.

I wonder if I'll be a natural at it or if I will learn that welding is not for me. It's a day-long class so let's hope that I'll be a natural at it and make something awesome, like this:
or this:

Something like the second table would be perfect for our living room right now. With that ottoman we got, it takes up too much room to allow for a good-looking coffee table but isn't quite big enough to fill the space and act as a coffee table (with a tray). Returning the ottoman is not an option because we love it too much, in case you were wondering. But after signing up for the class, I.S. and I have been talking about making a table to accommodate our awkward space layout issue. We figured that with the feet taken off the ottoman (the feet add about 2" to the height) and the magic slider/mover things we got at harbor freight (amazing store with so much good, cheap stuff, by the way) in place of the feet, we could have a coffee table at a normal height with the ottoman underneath. My idea is to weld a basic 4-legged frame and then cast a concrete slab to go on top that is about as thin, if not thinner, than the slab of marble in the photo above. Seems simple enough, right? Super. Our class is next weekend so I'll let you know how it goes.